Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Reagan Goes to Kindergarten

I've been really protective of my princess. We don't venture out too often.  At the advice of her doctor, I avoided crowds whenever possible (with the exception of a larger family event I was kinda tricked into attending, my sister's graduation, and Brent's end of year school program), until after her 2 month well baby check up.  I read all the baby advice, and other than tummy time (which I still give Reagan, just not as often as I should---with her reflux she ends up spitting up whenever laid on her tummy!), I do what I'm supposed to.  Today I was brave though, I decided it was time for my school babies to meet my new baby.

I have never seen my little kinder-babies so excited!  They all told me individually either "I'm SIX!" or "I'm about to turn SIX!"  They wanted me to see how they had grown.  They wanted to know about the baby, but more they wanted to talk about them :)  I love kids this age because they have such distinctive personalities, but they haven't been tainted yet.  They're eager to take it all in.

I told them about how Reagan was born the first day I missed school with them.  We talked about how she needed lots of things.  They wanted to know where my belly went, why my hair was longer, if I was coming back to teach them, who was going to watch the baby, if she wore the clothes they gave her, if I used their blankets/soap/etc.  One little girl asked me if I had been traveling.  When I told her no, she said she thought I had because my hair was so much longer (yeah, I didn't know you had to travel for your hair to grow either!).  She also told me  I should cut it again!  One little boy talked about how much he loved Reagan's polka dotted diaper and if I remembered seeing him in the Target (I do... it was November!).  I'm going to miss those little rascals next year!

Reagan met my kindergarten co-workers and some of the office ladies.  She was SO good.  Of course, it was her "sleepy" time and she was drowsy or sleeping most of our visit.  I'm so proud of my baby girl.  I know that will only continue as she grows bigger.  She's such a great mix of her daddy and me--even now in the little personality she is developing.  She loves "talking" and I eat up every coo.  Sadly for her kindergarten teacher, she'll be a talker I'm certain.  She has a mama who talks way too much and a daddy that talks even more!

I was a little sad leaving my little kinders.  They'll be first graders next time I see them.  They were so much fun this year, and I've learned more from them than I think they learned from me.  I loved my kindergarten experience this year, and I am happy I've found a home both at my school and in my grade level.  As much as I dread taking my little one to daycare and returning to work, I love my job.  Part of me is excited about getting back in the classroom and getting my family into a real routine.  Reagan needs to adapt to change and hopefully daycare will teach her just that.  I'm confident we've found a strong daycare and that the teachers there will provide and nurture my sweet baby.  If not, then I'd have even more anxiety about my return to the classroom.  Luckily for me and Miss Reagan,  I still have 2 more months off not to worry about any of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment