Sunday, April 13, 2014

Please pass (on) the cake...

A couple weeks ago a friend mentioned in a Facebook group she was embarking on a Whole30.  I was curious as to what exactly this was, so I googled it and thought, "hum... I think I could, and probably should try that."  As I was reading over the "rules" to David, he laughed at me and said, "honey, I have been trying to get to give up your soft drink habit, I seriously doubt you could do that."  I heard that as a challenge. Challenge accepted.

Since I was a middle schooler, sitting down to eat hasn't been my thing.  I still remember eating a Fudge Round and drinking a chocolate milk for lunch every single day.  I didn't improve too much by high school.  I'd drink a gatorade and have a granola bar and call it a meal.  Having two toddlers hasn't helped my eating habits, but I'm a lot hungrier.  I used to blame it on nursing, now I'm just guessing I probably need to eat more than a prepackaged bar at mealtime.  I still call a couple granola bars dinner and some Little Debbie snack cakes dessert, all the while I drink pop like water.  I really want to do better and set positive example for my little princesses, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity--While I have a few buddies going through the same things and holding me accountable.

So what is a Whole30?  Basically 30 days of eating nothing but "real" food.  No processed foods, no grains, no legumes, no sugar.  Ah!  That sounds terrible, right?  Since I eat so much crap, eating other things in its place, didn't seem so bad actually. The website says, "Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system."

All of this seemed doable and worth my while.  I really just wanted to kick my pop habit, but I don't snack on junk so much any more, and I don't really miss anything (this is Day 13).  I say that, then the past 2 weekends I have been daunted by yummy birthday cakes, both from Costco, with that amazing layer of icing in the center.  Both times, I've fed the girls their pieces, without even licking my fingers. I am tired of cooking and preparing food all the darn time, and my teacher lunch box is probably the hardest thing to plan ahead.  However, I already don't feel the need for my morning and midday Mt. Dews, and let me just say, the need was real.  I do miss a glass of wine in the evening, and on Day 31, that's the first "rule" I'm looking forward to breaking.  It is nice to do something that will make me a better me though, because if I'm a better "me" then I'm going to be a better mommy, wife, and teacher.  Plus, I've got to prove my husband wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment