Saturday, March 24, 2012

Shhh! Everyone's asleep!

My princess has been a co-sleeper since she was out of her Rock 'n Play Sleeper at about 4 months.  While I was nursing, it was more for convenience, especially after I went back to work.  Once she didn't need a late night feeding, it was because I (yes, me) missed her and liked having her close.  Plus, the split floor plan of our home seems to put a bit too much distance between our room and hers.

Lately, with my growing belly and just being overly uncomfortable (not to mention having to get up to potty a few times a night), I've been trying to get her to sleep in her crib.  I decided that I needed to trust God to keep her safe, there's nothing unsafe in the crib with her, and I needed to allow my body and the baby growing in my tummy as much restful sleep as possible.  This was NOT happening with a nearly one year old tossing and turning and kicking in the bed.  I never thought our king sized bed could feel so small.  So, Reagan's been sleeping in her crib half the night or so.  She wakes up usually around 12 or 1 and I hear her on the monitor, and I try (not too hard) to get her back to sleep, but most of the time she spends the rest of the night snuggled between Mommy and Daddy.  Last night she slept until 3:30 in her bed.  I checked on her around her usual wake up time, and she was snoozing away.  I think if I didn't work, I'd be a little better about getting her to complete the full night in her bed, but most nights during the week, I just don't have the energy to be up with her and then be teaching my kindergartners.  I'm proud of the progress we've both made lately!

Right now, Reagan's brother is happily tucked in his bed (and at 7, we're just now getting him to stay in his bed all night!), my husband is snoring from the couch, and Reagan is sleeping under her favorite muslin blanket in her crib.  Baby in my tummy is wide awake and my eyes are heavy.  I'm thinking about seeing how large the king sized bed feels with just me and my pregnant tummy in it!  In just a few short weeks our house will be a little more crowded, but so full of love.  It's a happy thought for this Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment