Friday, December 23, 2022

Our Papaw

 

 

My papaw loved a good song that celebrated Jesus. A few days ago he sat with my mom and chose every song we will hear here today. I’m pretty sure he sang them to her word for word, even though he was weak. It’s just the kind of guy my papaw was. He was praising his savior all the day long.


When I was a kid, I would sneak down to his shop to tell him dinner was ready & he’d often be covered in sawdust and listening to an a-track (when the rest of the world was listening to CDs). All of his music praised the lord just like my Papaw  continued doing until his very, very last day.


I too enjoy music. Probably some Papaw wouldn’t approve of, shamefully. But there’s a song that I’ve had on repeat a lot lately. The chorus says:


dream small

Don't buy the lie you've got to do it all

Just let Jesus use you where you are

One day at a time

Live well

Loving God and others as yourself

Find little ways where only you can help

With His great love

A tiny rock can make a giant fall

Yeah, five loaves and two fish can feed them all

So dream small


My Papaw always told me he was proud of us, but the things he mentioned, weren’t worldly accolades. He was proud we went to church, we serve others, we work hard. When I hear these lyrics, I think of how well he lived in his 88 and a half years. Over 32,000 days, my papaw loved God and others as himself. He found little ways where only he could help. From making little Christmas trees for school children that hang on trees from Kernersville to Pinehurst, to welcoming new babies with the most beautiful little chairs that sit in nurseries all the way from here to Texas, to helping with any and every church function he could—the Resurrection Run 5k, the Tribulation Trail, and passing out bulletins every single Sunday he was able.  He walked at the church in the early mornings, praying for the church family. He loved to visit with the weak and the hurting. It brought him such joy to serve others, oftentimes with two Nehi drinks in hand. Many people sit in church now that didn’t before because of my Papaw’s gentle witness to them. 


He and my dad are thick as theives. This was true even before we lost my Memaw. In college, I had called home in a panic because I had locked my keys in the trunk of my little red Honda. My dad told me he’d be right there to get the hide a key under my car, I couldn’t seem to find it alone. When he pulled up, I was relieved he had papaw with him. He’d only get so aggravated with me over it with my grandpa there. I was especially glad Papaw was there when we discovered that my keys weren’t actually locked in my car, but under a book in my dorm room. Neither one said a word that made me feel dumb, but let’s be honest, that was Papaw’s example. And I’m fairly certain they fed me dinner.


When my sister broke her ankle in high school playing soccer. Papaw was the one who drove her to school. He’d get her wheel chair out of the truck, help her in and wheel her all the way to D building to her first class. Along the sidewalk, Papaw became known as Papaw to other Mustangs. He never met a stranger. He made us feel so special, but he made others feel special too. 


Papaw was so humbled by the outpouring of love over the past couple weeks. He had no idea how many lives he had touched. He weapily told us he didn’t do it for a pat on the back, he did it for the lord. We all knew that. It was very evident in every word he spoke and every kind deed he did. My dad says my grandpa had more love in his pinky finger than most do  in their whole hearts, and how lucky are we that were loved by such a man.


In Paul’s letter to the Philippians he says in chapter 1 verse 21 


21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.


Like Paul, my Papaw had some really tough trials in his life, but his faith always grew stronger.  He was born a tiny little baby that his family didn’t have much hope would survive infancy. He worked so hard at all jobs he took on whether it was hauling feed, raising chickens or making Chatham central sparkle. He lost children, he lost his wife.


What Papaw had to lose in life he will gain in heaven. But he saw that his purpose here on earth was to live as light of hope amidst the darkness. He was truly the hands and feet of Jesus. Even in his last days he continued to be a blessing to others. No matter when asked how he was, he would say he was “blessed beyond measure.” His kindness touched so many lives and I know without a doubt he’s rejoicing in heaven, but we sure are missing him here today. We will miss him always. 






No comments:

Post a Comment