Sunday, January 26, 2014

YOLO {you're only little once}

It seems like in our house the changing of the calendar means birthdays.  Bub's birthday is in February, Reagan's is at the tail end of March, and Anna's falls right in the middle of May.  My birthday is in there too, but I'm at the point, I've really stopped aging anyway, so it's not too important.  That is, as long as David is sure to buy me a sappy card and cake. It is still my birthday after all.

In these days of super mommies, Pinterest, internet shopping, nailing the perfect party seems to come with a bit of pressure.  We've had Mario, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Minnie Mouse, and monkey themed parties.  Now, that my little biggest princess is nearly 3, she is very demanding.  I had pinned super cute cowgirl themed parties.  She got a really cute cowgirl costume for Christmas, I just knew that would be her theme this year....  Until, she demanded she was going to have a "Peter Pan birthday."  Wait, my girlie princess, wants a Peter Pan birthday?  This is not going to work with the pink cowgirl, land lover, over the top feminine party I had envisioned. And you know what, that's okay.  You're only little once.

I'm much too mature to be wearing trendy clothes and captioning my Instagram selfies with YOLO, but when I saw the catch phrase in my latest Parents magazine interpreted to fit my littles, I sighed a bit.  It already does go by fast.  Sometimes that's not always a bad thing.  It seems like once a month I'm cleaning up vomit.  One day they'll be able to hit the toilet.  That will be awesome.  When empty nesters tell you "you're gonna miss this," they were not talking about vomit, sleeping on the couch, being pooped on, kids screaming in the backseat of your car the entire hour long trip, or cleaning food up off the floor constantly.  

However, the endearing sweet moments truly outweigh the bad.  Anna still lets me rock her to sleep, she's my last baby, I'm going to keep on rocking that sweet pea.  Reagan declares "Mommy, I like you, I really do!!!" at the top of her lungs at least 10 times a day.  How cute is that?!  She also likes wearing "a neighborHOOD" (hoodie), loves "kandas" (pandas), and helps teach sign language to her sister (we did it with her, I've been slack with Anna, Reagan picked up my slack).  The girls are constantly giving checkups with their doctor kits, after we thank them by singing "So Much Better" Doc McStuffens style, they both will say, "it was no biggie."  Brent will pick up the girls, carry them, give them sloppy kisses, and secretly delights in Anna calling him "bubba" even though he would never admit it in public. My heart has never been so mushy.  

I keep the girls in line, in fact I laugh when Anna is doing something she shouldn't, Reagan will firmly say, "No ma'am!" in her best mommy tone. But when it comes to the everyday little things, I really try to remember they are just toddlers.  So, it snowed tiny tidbits of tissues in my living room today.  We played in it for a while.  We threw it in the air, danced around, sang like Elsa and Anna in Frozen, and then we all three got our vacuum cleaners and cleaned it up.  Poor Anna's vacuum is actually a Fisher Price bubble lawn mower, but it works.  They are helpers. They have great imaginations.  They are little.  In the midst of wanting to pull my hair out, I remind myself this time is too short.  They will only be this little once.

No comments:

Post a Comment